NEW Submission Information and Guidelines
NEMAA is proud to present the 2015 Fall Fine Arts Show, a diverse showcase of exceptional artwork from NEMAA members. This exhibit will take place on the 3rd floor gallery of the Solar Arts Building from September 18 – 27, 2015 (gallery hours are Thursday – Sunday). Download the full artwork submission information and guidelines packet.
Exhibited artwork will be for sale, and NEMAA will collect a 25% commission on sold artwork. Four overall awards will be selected by guest judges, and will be given out to artists during the opening reception, along with prizes. One People’s Choice award will be announced at the end of the show. Put forth your best work and help us showcase NEMAA artists’ immense talent to guests including art buyers, designers, architects, and more!
IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE THE NEW SUBMISSION PROCESS.
Over the years, Fall Fine Arts Show has become an anticipated event in which more and more of our artist members wish to participate. Our former “first-come-first-served” approach to accepting artwork is no longer the best process for this exhibit, as our membership has grown to over 600 artists. The mission of the Fall Fine Arts Show is to be an inclusive exhibit for NEMAA artists. It is important that this exhibit continue to offer professional, artistic, promotional and sale opportunities for both emerging and established artists, but we also need to consider our limited capacity – in terms of staff/people power, budget, display space, and so forth. Therefore, after much thought and discussion, we have decided to hold a lottery. NEMAA artists will be able to register online for a designated period of time. NEMAA will then randomly and blindly select a certain number of artists for 2D (wall hanging) and 3D categories, and will then notify artists. Our goal is to be fair and respectful to our members, and continue to offer all artists a potential opportunity to display their artwork in this exhibit.
Please carefully read the following instructions to make sure your artwork is entered into the lottery and eligible for the show. Please note: exceptions cannot be made.
- Interested artists must first register online to be in the Fall Fine Arts Show lottery. One registration per member, duplicates will be removed. Please register here.
- NEMAA will accept online registration from July 22 – August 31. Deadline to enter lottery: August 31, 11:59 PM.
- After the registration deadline, NEMAA will randomly draw names for inclusion, and will notify selected artists by September 3. The number of 2D and 3D pieces selected will be based on space and lighting available at the venue.
- NEMAA will also contact a few artists to be placed on the wait list. If selected artists are not able to participate, we will select the first artist in line on the waitlist. Those on the waitlist must be available last minute to drop off their artwork during waitlist drop off times below. Artists will be contacted by NEMAA as soon as we know if there is an open spot.
- Selected artists must then confirm participation and submit artwork information by September 8, 2015. If you do not confirm and submit information by this date, we will notify a waitlist artist to take your place.
- Selected artists must have their artwork dropped off and picked up during these hours:
○ Artwork Drop Off: Sunday, Sept. 13, 12:00 NOON to 4:00 PM
○ Waitlist Artist Artwork Drop off: Sunday, Sept. 13, 12:00, NOON to 4:00 PM or Monday, Sept. 14, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
○ Artwork Pick Up: Monday, September 28, from 2:00 to 6:00 PM
- NO EARLY OR LATE DROP OFFS OR PICK UPS WILL BE ACCOMMODATED. If you are selected and cannot make it during the times above, please arrange to have someone drop off or pick up for you and make sure to supply them with artwork info and your contact info. Late/early drop off and pick up will not be accepted. We will immediately call waitlist artists if you do not drop off your artwork during drop off time above.
- The elevator is available for public use any time during art drop off, pick up, reception, and gallery hours.
- There will be a small amount of required paperwork to fill out at artwork drop off, including a hold harmless waiver. NEMAA will not be providing artwork insurance. Artists may provide their own artwork insurance if so desired. Please plan at least 10 minutes to check in and fill out the paperwork.
- For security reasons, NEMAA will ask you or your designated pickup person to sign out your artwork (if not sold) during artwork pick up. Therefore, early or late pick up of artwork will not be accommodated.
Drop off, pick up, reception, and exhibit location:
Solar Arts Building, 3rd Floor Gallery
711 – 15th Ave. NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413
- One artwork submission per NEMAA member. Open to individual artist or professional art gallery members only.
- New artwork strongly preferred, no artwork included in past Fall Fine Arts Shows will be accepted.
- 2D and 3D mediums accepted, excluding installations or video/media work.
- Due to limited wall space, 2-D maximum artwork dimensions including frame are: Width: up to 3 feet (36 inches), Height: up to 3 feet (36 inches). We will accept artwork with a square footage of maximum 9 feet. 3-D work: bottom base area: 2 feet (24 inches) width in any direction if it needs a pedestal. Free standing pedestals will be accepted, maximum base area: 3 feet (36 inches) width in any direction, height: up to 6 feet.
- Artwork must be READY TO HANG. This means proper hanging wire on the back, which should hang at least 2 inches below the top of the frame when pulled taut. Any artwork not ready to hang will be turned away.
- Please include a tag taped on the back of your work with at least your name, artwork title, and phone number.
- Artwork must be finished and dry, and either framed or on gallery-wrapped canvas. Please make sure artwork is presentable and ready for sale – please replace or fix scratched/scuffed glass or Plexiglas, etc.
Other important details:
- NEMAA will handle artwork sales, and will retain a 25% commission on sales. NEMAA will submit payment to artist within two weeks of the exhibit closing.
- The gallery does have 24 hour recorded video surveillance, and will have a gallery sitter during gallery hours.
- 4 awards will be selected by guest judges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, and Honorable Mention. One award for People’s Choice will also be awarded. Judge awards will be given out during the opening reception around 8:30 PM. Prizes typically include certificates ranging from $50-$350. Winners and images of artwork will be posted on NEMAA’s website, newsletter, social media, and on a press release.
- Our first confirmed judge for this year is Anastasia Shartin, Visual Arts Director of The Phipps Center for the Arts in Hudson, Wisconsin. Additional judges will be announced closer to the show (previous judges have included Christina Chang, Mason Riddle, Claude Peck, Orin Rutchick, and more).
- If you wish to have your art considered for the Press (inclusion in articles, etc), please email a high-resolution image of the piece you will be submitting to the FFA show to email@example.com. Please title the image with your full name and artwork title (i.e.: John Smith_Garden View.jpg). Allowed file types: png, gif, jpg, and jpeg, but jpg images preferred. Images must be larger than 480×480 pixels, but files must be less than 256 MB.
Important Dates (Summary):
- Online lottery registration: July 22 – August 31, 2015
- Deadline to enter lottery registration: August 31, 11:59 PM
- NEMAA will notify artists drawn from lottery by September 3.
- Wait list artists will also be notified by September 3.
- Selected artists must confirm participation and submit artwork information online via a form by September 8.
- Artwork Drop Off: Sunday, Sept. 13, 12:00 NOON to 4:00 PM
- Waitlist Artist Artwork Drop off: Sunday, Sept. 13, 12:00 NOON to 4:00 PM or Monday, Sept. 14, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Artwork Pick Up: Monday, September 28, from 2:00 to 6:00 PM
September 18 – 27, 2015 (open to the public Thursday-Sunday)
Opening Reception: Friday, September 18, 2015, 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM, Free
Gallery hours: Thursdays/Fridays, 5-9 PM, Saturdays/Sundays, 12-6 PM
SAVE THE DATE! Please join us at the Opening Reception on Friday, September 18 from 6:00 – 10:00 PM. Mingle with a fabulous crowd, check out our members’ artwork, sample delicious hors d’oeuvres from Chowgirls Killer Catering, enjoy live music, bid on business silent auction items, and sip on craft beer from Indeed Brewing and wine! Free and open to the public.
Thank to you Fall Fine Arts Show sponsors: Financial One Credit Union, Spaces Magazine, Chowgirls Killer Catering, Indeed Brewing, and Solar Arts Building.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-788-1679.
Thank you for your interest and support!
Alejandra Pelinka, NEMAA Executive Director